Penralley House Access Statement
We aim to provide the highest standards and cater for the individual needs of all guests who decide to stay with us. We are always willing to discuss any additional requirements with current and potential guests and our aim is to ensure that your stay with us is a thoroughly enjoyable and happy one.
It is important that all intending guests read our access statement and discuss their specific needs with us. We need to make sure, before reservations are confirmed, that the facilities that we offer are wholly appropriate to any personal, special and disabled needs.
Please contact us with any queries concerning your individual needs and accessibility:
Tel: 01597 811868
Mobile: 07751 478484
Email us using our contact form…
- Our website gives you details of our accommodation and the facilities that we offer.
- Our website also gives some details of places of interest and attractions in the local area.
- There is a specific contact page, with an emailing facility, on our website.
- Free internet (Wi-Fi) connection is available (Please be aware that because this is an old building the (Wi-Fi) can be intermittent in some areas of the house).
- Mobile phone reception is fair to good.
- If needed, our land line phone would be offered if mobile reception is poor.
- Assistance dogs with their own bedding are welcome at no extra charge.
- All our B & B rooms are on the first floor.
- We do not have a stair lift.
- Our accommodation is unsuitable for people who are unable to climb the stairs, apart from the Bramble room which has three steps leading into the room, which is located on the ground floor.
- Please note that it is with regret that children of 18 years or younger are not accepted in Penralley House due to the nature of the building.
- Our main fire escape is down the main stairs.
- There are limited public transport services to Rhayader, however there is a good local taxi service, please ask and we can make the necessary bookings for you.
- The nearest rail stations are at Llandrindod (11 miles) or Caersws (22 miles).
- The nearest main airports are at Cardiff 86 (miles), Birmingham (97 miles), Bristol (99 miles) or Manchester (116 miles).
- There is a Car Park at the side of Penralley House, which you are welcome to use, has limited undercover hard standing and a gravel surface and a slight incline there is also ample safe storage available for bicycles.
Alternatively cars can be parked on Caeherbert Lane opposite the house where there are no parking restrictions.
The centre of the town is close by with pavement inclines and some narrow sections.
We can offer assistance, if needed, with luggage.
The house was built in 1776 therefore there are some period features that may give rise to difficulty for people with limited mobility.
Entrance to the main house from South Street is through a wide gateway (width 104 cm), there are then 3 (18 cm) high steps to the front door (width 94 cm), which bring you into the hallway. There is a doorway to the left (width 58 cm x 2) into the breakfast room with level entry leading to oak floors there are two large sash windows which allow plenty of light. There is seating for 4 people on a rectangular table, 3 people on a round table and two square tables which will accommodate 2 people, all with respective co-coordinating chairs. There is a side board with cereals, coffee machine, fruit juice, yoguart, jams, etc. Assistance is always at hand, if you require special or irregular diets-please let us know prior to your arrival so that we can endeavour to accommodate them for you.
We can offer Large Print or verbal Breakfast Menus if required.
From the hallway there is a further door also on the left, (86 cm) into the large lounge which has comfortable sofa seating for up to six people with two further high back armchairs, three large windows with lovely views to the well maintained gardens the Cambrian mountains and the Elan Valley in the distance. There is also an original open marble fireplace in this room and a flat screen TV, which has subtitles available if required.
Teletext televisions with subtitles are also fitted in all of the bedrooms, please ask if you would like this facility activated.
From the hall is the stairway to the guest bedrooms (9 steps) to a level platform, followed by a further 4 steps to another level platform, followed by a further 5 steps to the second floor. The steps are all 1 metre wide and there is a sturdy oak rail on one side.
The guest bedrooms all have en-suite facilities, 4 with showers and 1 with a bath.
There is a rear entrance to the property from the parking area, (approximately 15 metres from the ‘drop-off’ area to the rear door (75 cm wide)). There are 3 (15 cm) steps leading to the rear door.
There is one downstairs bedroom “Bramble” in the building and unfortunately due to the age of the property and its Grade II listing we are unable to accommodate guests in wheel chairs. There is a downstairs toilet and shower room available for guests use.
Fridge storage is available for medications.
Penralley House B & B has a good level of fire protection. Smoke detectors are fitted in the main areas of the house and all of the bedrooms. Our loud alarm system will sound continuously in each bedroom if evacuation of the building is necessary.
- There are instructions in all bedrooms explaining action to be taken in case of fire.
- The fire alarm system is audible only. Please notify us on arrival if you would require assistance for evacuation.
- We are able to use the front and back doors on the ground floor if there is the need for evacuation.
- There are ‘Water & Powder Fire Extinguishers’ clearly visible in stands on the ground floor and also the first floor in case of an emergency.
For guests use there are various chairs, benches and a wooden garden table available, the garden is on three main levels all with lovely views and on the bottom level we have a fruit orchard and our chicken enclosure. (Please ask if you would like to meet the chickens).
There is ‘in case of a fire’ information posted on the back of all of the bedroom doors.
An information folder is placed in each bedroom with further information on Penralley House, local attractions and the surrounding area.
We have a selection of local menus for guests’ perusal and we are more than happy to assist you with any further advice or assistance that you may require.
We have storage facilities for cycles and walkers equipment, we also have drying facilities.
We can supply a packed lunch if required at an extra cost. Please advise us the evening before it is required.